Join me, if you will, on a journey in time – a journey back 100 years! Back to World War One.
For me, this mission started about 7 years ago. It started with the simple curiostiy of finding as much as I could find about my uncle from Aberdeen, Scotland. My uncle who gave his life in the Great War. After awhile, I realized that I had the makings of a really good story. Read on…
I have designed this website as a media supplement to the novel “Flowers of the Forest”. The novel is a historical/fiction rendition of my Great Uncle, Pte. Farquhar McLennan’s time in the Canadian Expeditionary Forces in the Great War. Pte. McLennan entered the War with his two best friends, and the three of them shared a love for Football (Soccer). The story explores the way the sport played a role in their training and morale. This site gives the reader of the novel and casual visitors, the opportunity to see photos of the vivid characters and amazing places that live in the pages of the novel. The reader will also have access to background information and research that went into writing the story. The Library and Archives in Ottawa provided a wealth of digital data that are displayed in this site. The project started out as my curiosity but soon became my passion. Read on as I update the site and find new facts. Here is a chance to view some very compelling photos and historical documents. Travel back in time 100 years and feel the vibe!
- Brilliant book. I read it in three sittings. Loved the Niagara on the Lake stuff. A fellow getting hit by lightning. The football politics and the fear of fear, and loss. – Adam Saunders – Royal Regiment of Canada
- A wonderful bildungsroman* tale of a young soccer player thrown into the depths of the Great War. – a Reader on FB
*a novel dealing with one person’s formative years or spiritual education.
- A GOOD READ… I enjoyed it immensely. – a Reader on FB
- Quite and enjoyable read, based on history and a story. Thanks Rick Law, I liked the story. – a Reader on FB
- I do not read this type of book often, this was very well written and every page was entertaining. I enjoyed – a Reader on FB
- “Flowers of the Forest is a wonderful book. It made me laugh. It made me cry. It made me think about the war (any war) in a different way. It answered questions I never even thought to ask. I felt closer to Farquhar McClennan as more than just a mention of his name decades ago. It’s definitely a great read. Thank you, Rick, for writing this book.” – Glenys Davies
Please enjoy the hundreds of photos and images. Scroll to the bottom of the page.
Feel free to leave a message or reply after any post. Contact me by leaving your message and your email address for a return reply.
The book is available for purchase at:
Direct link to the book. No need to search.
- Amazon.ca Click Here
- Amazon.com Click Here
- Amazon.co.uk Click Here
- Amazon.com.au Click Here
- Barnes and Noble Click Here
- Chapters – Indigo Click Here
- Amazon New Zealand Click Here
- iBooks Click Here